Students were hoping to receive another chance at applying for the National Student Aid Financial Scheme but this request has been denied.
Minister Blade Nzimande announced that NSFAS will not be taking any late applications for the year 2021.
The Minister addressed the reopening of schools on Monday and made it clear that students will not be given extra time regarding NSFAS applications.
Minister Blade Nzimande explained that students were given sufficient time to ensure that applications are handed in on time.
“We gave four months last year for those who want to apply to apply. We are now focusing on screening for purposes of allocating those who are successful. We cannot, unfortunately, be able to reopen,” he said.
This also takes into consideration that universities and TVET colleges are limiting their intake for the 2021 academic year.
For the year 2021 NSFAS has received over 750,000 applications, an increase of 185,000 from last year.
Application process clarified for new applicants
Students who are seeking to apply for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme were given clarity on the application process.
NSFAS took to Twitter on Monday to explain the application process and further highlighting that funding approval and continuation of funding is also based on academic performance.
TVET COLLEGE STUDENTS
This is how NSFAS works for TVET colleges
NSFAS beneficiaries cautioned against allowance scam
Many students have fallen victim to being scammed of their allowances. The National Student Financial Aid (NSFAS) Scheme has issued a warning to beneficiaries not to forward details relating to funding, if not requested by the financial aid scheme.
According to the financial aid scheme, the messages follow the same structure as those sent by NSFAS contact centre, asking students to send details which allows them access to students’ allowances.
NSFAS is asking students to report these messages via the vuvuzela hotline by contacting:
Phone: 0860 247 653
SMS: Call back number to 30916
Legal action to be taken against NSFAS defunded students
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) has introduced a new process to its selection criteria. This led to funds being pulled from 5000 students who were found to not have complied with the requirements in terms of household incomes.
Responding to this issue, the Minister of Higher Education Dr Blade Nzimande has said that these students will have legal action taken against them.
The Minister has expressed concern about students submitting false information to access funding. Further saying that this is a case of unethical and corrupt behaviour on the students part and will not be justified.
Legal action will be taken against these students and NSFAS will seek to recoup the funds which were paid towards these students studies, said the Minister.
This applies to students who were found according to SARS to have an annual household income of more than R350 000.
Students who were found to have irregularities in terms of this requirement were notified by NSFAS and have provided information on which processes will follow.
Affected students have 14 days from the day they received a notification to petition the decision by submitting a proof of the family’s income to NSFAS for review.